Cryo-electron Microscopy and Tomography
The Cryo-electron microscopy core facility CEITEC Masaryk University (CEMCOF) provides access to the state-of-the-art electron microscopy instrumentation and supports scientists in acquisition of electron microscopy data. As a part of our mission, we also support the sample preparation and sample optimization including the advanced sample preparation techniques such as focused ion beam micromachining of cellular lamellas. In addition, the facility continuously adopts emerging techniques in life-science electron microscopy such as electron diffraction tomography (micro-ED) and is available to carry out data analysis. The facility handles BSL1 and BSL2 samples, respectively, and is available to its users for both service and collaborative projects.
- Titan Krios – 300 kV high-end transmission electron microscope aligned for fringe-free imaging (FFI) and further equipped with Volta phase plate (VPP), energy filter, and Gatan K2 direct electron camera (Bioquantum 967). The microscope serves for high throughput and high-quality single particle analysis and cryo-electron tomography data collection.
- Talos Arctica – 200 kV high-end transmission electron microscope equipped with Ceta camera for and Falcon 3EC direct electron detector. The microscope serves for acquisition of single particle analysis data, high-throughput screening of cryo-EM samples, and acquisition of electron diffraction tomography (microED) data.
- Talos F200C – 200kV scanning transmission electron microscope for operation in both TEM and STEM mode. The microscope is equipped with Falcon 3EC direct electron detector, Ceta-D camera, and Quadro direct electron detection camera. In addition, the microscope is equipped with HAADF detector for STEM imaging and Bruker X-flash detector for EDX mapping. Talos F200C is multi-purpose microscope for life-science and chemistry applications.
- Versa3D – small dual beam (FIB/SEM) equipped with cryo-stage and cryo-FIB/SEM preparation system (Quorum Technologies). The microscope primarily serves for preparation of cellular lamellae by cryo-FIB for cryo-electron tomography.
- Instrumentation for sample preparation – the vitrification robot (ThermoScientific Vitrobot Mark IV) is available for plunge freezing of specimens for cryo-EM. A high-pressure freezer (Leica EM ICE), freeze-substitution unit (Leica EM AFS2), and cryo-ultramicrotome (Leica EM UC7) are available for preparation of cellular or tissue samples for electron microscopy under room-temperature or cryo-conditions.
CEMCOF supports services in the the following areas:
- TEM imaging
- SEM imaging
- sample vitrification
- resin embedding
- FIB-SEM tomography
- initial structural screening
- initial cryo-EM screening
- cryo-FIB lamella preparation
- single particle analysis data collection
- cryo-electron tomography data collection
- electron diffraction tomography
- data analysis
Our mission is to provide access to the state-of-the-art instrumentation for electron cryo-microscopy and support our user in sample preparation, data acquisition, and data processing. Data analysis or training in different electron microscopy techniques are available through collaboration with CEMCOF.
Core Facility contact
Jiří Nováček - email@example.com